Work for Clients
Ms. Cairns advises and represents both individuals and businesses (whether private, family-owned, or closely-held business) before and during litigation on matters involving contract disputes, employment (including wage and hour issues, discrimination, employee classification, and termination), construction, real estate, consumer protection, and other commercial disputes.
Ms. Cairns also practices in the area of veterans’ disability law. She has extensive experience in advocating on behalf of disabled military veterans and their families, as they pursue VA compensation benefits before the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Board of Veterans’ Appeals, and the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
Professional Activities & Affiliations
During law school, Ms. Cairns interned at an immigration law office in Florida. She also interned at Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights in Boston, centering on employment discrimination litigation, and at Kotin, Crabtree & Strong, LLP, emphasizing in special education law. Ms. Cairns was a Research Associate for the Program on Human Rights on the Global Economy.
In her third year of law school, Ms. Cairns worked as a certified legal advocate for individuals seeking unemployment insurance benefits. She also completed a judicial internship under The Honorable Roderick L. Ireland, former Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
Prior to joining Schlossberg LLC, Ms. Cairns gained experience in family law at a Boston-area law firm. She then practiced at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, developing her veterans affairs agency and appellate practice. Notably, Ms. Cairns helped to obtain important decisions in federal court, including on brief Kuppamala v. McDonald,
27 Vet. App. 447 (2015).
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member, 2013-Present
- Neponset Valley Chamber of Commerce, Member, 2018-Present
- Website Accessibility under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Summer 2018
- J.D., Northeastern University School of Law, 2012
- B.A. (cum laude), Brandeis University, 2008
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2018
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, 2014